Week 1 of the fantasy football season is always an unpredictable one and this season has been no different. We saw surprise performances from Cam Newton, Chad Henne, Mike Tolbert, and Scott Chandler. If you are in a deep league, these guys are worth a bench spot to see if they can build on their performances in Week 2.
- Tom Brady and Wes Welker – Brady threw for 517 yards, 160 of that to Welker. Welker also accounted for 2 of Brady’s 4 touchdowns. If you had either of these two, you should have won your match up last week.
- Chad Henne – Chad Henne threw for 416 yards and 2 touchdowns, but the real story was that he actually looked like a pretty good quarterback, making good decisions and accurate passes. This bodes well for Brandon Marshall.
- Cam Newton – Cam threw for 422 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 18 yards on the ground and a touchdown. He surprised everyone with his accurate passes and good decision making. I would definitely consider adding him to your bench to see if he can build on his numbers against a tough Packers defense.
- Steve Smith (Car) – I had a shot to draft Steve Smith, but after being burned last year, I decided to look elsewhere. Well what does he do, but catch for 178 yards and 2 touchdowns. So much for not having any chemistry with a rookie QB…
- Mike Tolbert - Typically Tolbert’s points come from red zone carries. This week he only had 35 yards and a touchdown on the ground, but he also caught 9 for 58 and 2 touchdowns. These are not “touchdown vulture” numbers – Ryan Mathews owners should be concerned.
- Kenny Britt -Britt caught for 136 yards and 2 touchdowns. Hasselbeck is typically not a good fantasy QB, but Mike Williams (sea) did produce with him at the helm last year. Britt should make for a solid #2 receiver on your team, while he is a free man.
- Matthew Stafford -Stafford looks like the real deal, throwing for 305 yards and 3 touchdowns in week 1. If you drafted him or Calvin Johnson, you must feel pretty good about yourself right now. Hopefully he is cured of the injury bug.
- Scott Chandler -Here is his Resume: Drafted in 07 by the Chargers, then played for Cowboys, Giants, Cowboys (again), and the Bills and before last week he had all of 1 reception for 8 yards. Last week, he had 5 receptions for 63 yards and 2 touchdowns. This is a guy that will be on my watch list to see if he can continue to be one of Ryan Fitzpatrick‘s favorite weapons.
I guess I should mention that I lost to MattDotRich in our weekly Gridiron Challenge.